Tuesday, November 17, 2009

A taste of freedom...

There are 2 types of people in this world. Those who are truly grateful for any glimpse of light in the darkness. And those who forget the wonder of the moment almost before it's over. Unfortunately I definitely fall into the latter category. Once I catch a glimpse of life as it 'ought to be' or 'should have been', the discontent of life 'as it is' rises almost immediately.

Monday was a fabulous day for me. After months of worsening fatigue and pains, suddenly, I was rewarded with one of those 'miracle days'. I woke up fresh in the morning for a doctor's apptment, had to walk quite a lot in the hospital but didn't get knocked out, did two loads of laundry, watched TV, played word games on the computer, tidied the kitchen cabinets, served myself lunch and set up the living room.


I know that to most healthy people this may not sound like much work for an entire day, but any of us who have had contact with illnesses like CFS/FM, can recognize what a momentous day it was in my life. And maybe that's why I was so scared to end the day. What if, while I slept, the magic wore off? What if I collapsed again tomorrow?

It's difficult to not think like this. It's difficult to stop myself from doing all that I can, simply because I can in fact do it (making any sense?). You would think that after so many years of struggling with the issue I would have learnt the importance of resting even when I'm not tired. But whenever I do get a 'normal' day, this is still almost impossible for me.

The excitement of having a good day wouldn't let me sleep all of Monday night. Finally fell asleep at abt 6:30a.m. the next morning and am, surprise, surprise, now back to spending the whole day in bed.

Moral of the story - Take each day as it comes and learn to recognize/appreciate the precious moments in life.

And, as of today, that's precisely what I'm going to do!

5 comments:

  1. Absolutely agree! When these days come they are like precious jewels.

    PS I see you liked the 'To Do List' as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you had a great day. As my daughter would say, sometimes it's worth the payoff - for her anyway.

    Hope that you have a wonderful day again VERY soon.

    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your To Do list is the same as my To Do list these days. I'm glad you had such a good day, and I hope your recovery is swift.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I know that to most healthy people this may not sound like much work for an entire day, but any of us who have had contact with illnesses like CFS/FM, can recognize what a momentous day it was in my life."

    So, so true..
    I remember when I washed my hair for the first time in months without the help of my mum. It was a very happy day for me! I always celebrate the fact I've managed to have a shower. To think I used to take it for granted, but now it's a cause of celebration! I'm new to the blogging world- hope you don't mind me commenting on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I enjoy those days and try to be grateful. Nice Post.

    ReplyDelete